4th Revision - OCT 2000

Researched by: Robert Loys Sminkey

Commander, United States Navy, Retired

The formal legal steps leading to the acquisition of United States naval vessels are confusing to many people but are very important to an understanding of the United States Navy's submarine programs. Generally speaking, the Navy cannot acquire a ship until Congress has both authorized the size of the fleet and appropriated funds for the procurement of new vessels. This requires two separate acts of Congress, as a result of which ships have frequently been authorized several years before funds were actually appropriated for their construction, and some authorized ships have never been built at all. Authorization and procurement procedures are usually quite formal in peacetime but more expedient methods are usually followed during wars or national emergencies. In the past, Congress was often very specific in defining the characteristics of particular ships, their cost, and sometimes even their names and where they were to be built.

USS Threadfin (SS-410), named for any of a family of fishes related to the mullets and distinguished by filamentous rays on the lower part of the pectoral fin, was authorized to be built by the United States Congressional Act of 9 July 1942...which stated in part:

"...The authorized composition of the United States Navy in under-age vessels, as established by the Act of March 27, amended by the Acts of May 17, 1938...June 14, 1940...July 19, 1940... December 23, 1941...and May 13, hereby further increased by one million nine hundred thousand tons of combatant ships,...

"...Provided, that the foregoing increases in tonnages for each of the three classes of aircraft carriers, cruisers, and destroyers and destroyer escort vessels may be varied downward in the amount of 30 per centum of the total increased tonnage authorized herein, and if so varied downward, the tonnage so decreased may be used to increase the tonnage of any other class of vessel authorized above, or to increase the tonnage of submarines heretofore authorized, so long as the sum of the total increases in tonnages of these classes, including submarines as authorized herein, is not exceeded:...."

USS Threadfin (SS-410), originally named USS Sole (SS-410), was laid down on 18 March 1944 at the Portsmouth Navy Yard in Kittery, Maine. The submarine was christened by Mrs. Frank G. Fox and launched on 26 June 1944. Commissioning took place on 30 August 1944 with Commander John J. Foote in command.

USS Threadfin (SS-410) was a unit of the Balao Class. The design development of this class was accomplished by the Portsmouth Navy Yard...and she was built by the Portsmouth Navy Yard. Thus, USS Threadfin was a "Portsmouth Boat."

One of the best-kept secrets of World War II was the increase in the operating depth of our submarines, from 300 feet in the Gato Class to 400 feet in the Balao Class. This was accomplished by shifting from mild steel to high-tensile steel and increasing the thickness of the pressure-hull plating, using the weight saved in previous classes by meticulous attention to design details in every area. Naturally, the Balao Class boats became known as the "thick skins"...while the Gato Class and earlier classes were dubbed "thin skins." In outward appearance and internal layout, the heavy-hull boats were practically identical to the earlier type, and many people--including the Japanese--were unaware that there had been any change. Most of the other new features in the Balao design had already been incorporated in the later Gato Class boats as alterations or contract changes, so the Bureau of Ships skipped the usual step of preparing a preliminary design and simply issued a so-called Circular of Requirements setting forth the changes and new test specifications.

Orders were placed for 256 units of this class, but only 119 were completed to the original design, the rest being either cancelled or reordered later in the war. World War II losses totaled nine, the low toll being due to the completion of many units too late in the war to encounter much opposition from the battered Japanese antisubmarine forces. Most of the Balao Class underwent conversion to new configurations after World War II, and made up the bulk of the Navy's active submarine force until nuclear-powered attack boats replaced most of them during the 1960s.

When commissioned, USS Threadfin was 311 feet 8 inches in length overall and had a maximum beam of 27 feet 3 inches. Her standard displacement on the surface was 1,526 tons, her normal displacement on the surface was between 2,010 and 2,075 tons, and her submerged displacement was 2,401 tons. USS Threadfin was designed to safely submerge to 400 feet...her operating depth. She has eight watertight compartments plus a conning tower. The pressure hull plating was 35 to 35.7 pound high tensile steel (approximately 7/8ths of an inch thick).

The designed compliment was for six officers and sixty enlisted men.

Armament consisted of 6 bow and 4 stern 21-inch torpedo tubes. The maximum torpedo load was twenty-four Mark 14 Mod. 3A torpedoes. In place of torpedoes, a maximum of 40 mines could be carried. One 5-inch/25-caliber dual-purpose deck gun was fitted. Antiaircraft guns consisted of one 40-mm, one 20-mm, and two .50-caliber machine guns.

Fuel capacity was 118,300 gallons (rated) of diesel oil, which fueled 4 main Fairbanks-Morse opposed piston 1,600 horsepower diesel engines, and one auxiliary Fairbanks-Morse opposed piston diesel engine... which turned generators...which made electricity...which turned two

Elliot main propulsion motors of 2,740 shaft horsepower ...which could drive the boat at 20.25 knots on the surface...and gave her a cruising range on the surface of 11,000 miles at ten knots (rated). The generators were also utilized to charge 2 Gould 126-cell main storage batteries...which could power the Elliot main propulsion motors... which could drive the boat at 8.75 knots when submerged. Her submerged endurance, at 2 knots, was two days. Her patrol endurance was rated at 75 days. USS Threadfin had a mean draft of 15 feet 3 inches when on the surface in diving trim.

Training and trials out of the Portsmouth Navy Yard followed USS Threadfin's final completion late in September 1944. After transiting the Panama Canal in mid-November, the submarine reached Pearl Harbor early in December and conducted intensive training in preparation for her first war patrol. She stood out of Pearl Harbor on Christmas Day.

Early in January of 1945, she reached her assigned patrol area in the waters just south of Kyushu. There, she spent 30 of her 54 days at sea. She encountered numerous enemy aircraft, patrol craft, and fishing vessels...but only six targets worthy of a torpedo.

On 30 January 1945, USS Threadfin sighted a large enemy patrol craft, but prudently allowed her to pass, unmolested, in the hope of drawing a bead on any merchant vessels for which she might be running interference. Presently, a 2,000-ton coastal freighter--escorted by two patrol vessels and a plane--crossed her path. USS Threadfin fired a spread of six torpedoes from a range of about 2,900 yards. At least one of them struck home, obscuring the target in smoke and steam. The cargoman probably sank; but USS Threadfin could not verify that result visually because the escorts drove her deep with a persistent, though ineffective, depth charge attack.

Two days later, the submarine encountered a Japanese RO-60-Class submarine. However, the enemy's course changes kept USS Threadfin from gaining an advantageous attack setup; and the Japanese submarine disappeared into the distance. USS Threadfin next happened upon two freighters escorted by three patrol craft. This time, the small convoy's position close inshore defied the submarine's efforts to attack...because of the risk of running aground.

The following day, USS Threadfin mistook another patrol vessel for a cargo ship and discovered her mistake in just enough time to make a deep dive to safety. That escapade also robbed her of a chance at a small convoy consisting of two small cargomen and two escorts.

She sighted the convoy later when she returned to periscope depth; but, by then, the ships had passed out of range. A week later, she launched six torpedoes at a minesweeper 2,500 yards distant. In spite of an excellent fire-control solution, all six missed. They apparently ran too deeply. Three days later, she concluded a somewhat discouraging, but still successful, first war patrol at Midway Island.

Following a month there for refit and training, USS Threadfin embarked upon her second war patrol on 14 March 1945. She initially joined a coordinated attack group composed of herself, USS Sea Dog (SS-401), and USS Trigger (SS-237). During her five-day tour with that wolf pack, USS Threadfin made two attacks on enemy shipping. On the afternoon of 28 March, she came across two Japanese destroyer escort- type warships and apparently dispatched one with a single hit from a spread of six torpedoes. The stricken warship's screws stopped while her colleague's depth charge attack deprived USS Threadfin of definite knowledge of the ultimate result. That evening, the submarine tangled with a convoy composed of two small trawlers and four luggers.

During the ensuing surface gun engagement, the submarine inflicted serious damage on two of the luggers, moderate damage on the trawlers, and minor damage on the remaining pair of luggers. Though disconcerting, the Japanese return fire proved ineffectual.

On 31 March, the wolf pack was dissolved, and USS Threadfin received orders to join USS Hackleback (SS-295) and USS Silversides (SS-236) near Bungo Suido, the primary entrance to the Japanese Inland Sea...which separates Honshu from Kyushu and Shikoku. The new attack group's primary assignment was to guard against an undetected sortie of the remainder of Japan's fleet during the Allied assault on Okinawa.

On the evening of 6 April, at time 1944, Commander John Foote in USS Threadfin picked up the Japanese force at five miles. He was not certain what it included: a carrier? Yamato? Some other battleship?

The tension in USS Threadfin's conning tower was high. Foote blew all ballast tanks dry and began a chase. His orders were to report first and then attack. He closed to four miles and reported the force by radio, giving approximate composition, course, and speed--22 knots.

By the time this was accomplished, IJN Yamato had opened to ten miles and there was no hope that USS Threadfin could catch up. Later, Foote wrote dejectedly, "Threadfin's chance for the Hall of Fame passed before contact report was cleared." He added, "Our remaining hope was that Silversides or Hackleback would [attack and] slow [the force] down somewhere near our speed." Later, Vice Admiral Lockwood,

Commander Submarine Force, United States Pacific Fleet, called this contact report "brilliant."

On 7 April, the morning after the USS Threadfin contact report, aircraft from Task Force 58, which had moved northward from Okinawa to intercept IJN Yamato, found the formation. At noon, Task Force 58 aircraft struck, sinking IJN Yamato, IJN Yahagi, and two of the destroyers. Two other destroyers were so badly damaged the Japanese sank them before fleeing to the nearest friendly port.

A second mission of USS Threadfin consisted of lifeguard duty to rescue downed American airmen. Her first war patrol afforded her no opportunity to pursue such a humane mission; but, near the end of her second war patrol, she rescued a half-drowned P-51 Mustang fighter pilot. Though he had swallowed large quantities of water, artificial respiration soon brought him around. That proved to be the last noteworthy event of the patrol; and, after a refueling stop at Midway on 30 April, USS Threadfin concluded her second war patrol at Pearl Harbor on 4 May 1945.

At Pearl Harbor, she underwent refit followed by a brief four-day training period before departing on her third and final war patrol. She stopped briefly at Guam for voyage repairs; then continued on to her assigned area in the Yellow and East China Seas. She closed her first victim, a three-masted schooner, to inspect her and determine her nationality. Finding her to be enemy-operated and worthy of attack, the submarine opened up with her 5-inch deck gun. Fifteen hits later, the schooner vanished beneath the waves. USS Threadfin rescued nine crewmen from the schooner and learned that her victim had been bound for Dairen...laden with coal. The next day, the submarine encountered a freighter sunk in shallow water and surrounded by small boats...apparently conducting some variety of salvage operations. She fired a single torpedo, which caused the wreck to settle a further ten feet and which she hoped would suspend the suspected salvage operations. Closer inspection, however, indicated that the boats were fishing, not conducting salvage operations.

Soon, thereafter, USS Threadfin sighted a four-masted cargo schooner and sank her in a gun attack. The following afternoon, her deck gun accounted for another cargo schooner. On the 19th, she stopped a group of five two-masted cargo junks for inspection but allowed them to continue their voyage after identifying them as friendly Chinese. The next night, she made a surface radar torpedo attack on an enemy ship shrouded by heavy fog. She fired a spread of five torpedoes, of which two found their mark. The target sank within five minutes without ever being visually sighted from USS Threadfin.

The submarine concluded her offensive operations near the Strait of Tsushima. After a day of submerged patrolling without sighting a worthwhile target, she received word that night that USS Sea Robin (SS-407) had come upon a patrol craft heading north and four small cargo ships heading south. While USS Sea Robin took on the patrol craft, USS Threadfin hit the small convoy. During the ensuing night gun action, she sank two of the four small merchantmen and forced the other two into USS Sea Robin's path. The two American submarines dispatched all four to the bottom of the sea. On the return transit from her final war patrol, USS Threadfin rescued three survivors from a downed American flying boat and took them to Guam...where she arrived on 27 July 1945.

From 27 July to 12 August, the submarine refitted at Guam in preparation for her fourth war patrol, but that patrol never occurred.

While she conducted post-refit training, the Japanese capitulated... thus ending the shooting phase of World War II.

On 18 August, USS Threadfin got underway from Guam to return to the United States. While transiting to the Panama Canal, the formal surrender by the Empire of Japan to the Allies took place on the deck of battleship USS Missouri... which was anchored in Tokyo Bay...on 2 September 1945... thus ending the Second World War.

On 16 September 1945, USS Threadfin passed through the Panama Canal and reported to the Submarine Force, United States Atlantic Fleet, for duty. Six days later, she moored at the naval base at Staten Island, New York, New York. Her World War II days were over.

USS Threadfin was awarded three battle stars for her services during her three war patrols during the Second World War.

The balance of USS Threadfin's 28-year career in the United States Navy proved to be routine in nature. Initially, she operated out of the United States Naval Submarine Base at New London/Groton, Connecticut. Most of her operations there consisted of providing services to the Submarine School...that is, she was a "school boat" for both the officer and enlisted students. That duty lasted until 10 December which time the submarine was decommissioned to enter the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard at Kittery, Maine, for an extended conversion overhaul...funded by the Fiscal Year 1952 Program.

USS Threadfin was one of sixteen submarines in the Fiscal Year 1952 Program that provided for conversion of Fleet-Type submarines to GUPPY submarines. GUPPY means Greater Underwater Propulsion Power. The "Y" has no significance. This program was known as the Guppy IIA Program. The modifications included streamlining the superstructure deck and conning tower fairwater and installing a snorkel system. One main engine and the auxiliary diesel engine (the "dinky") were removed. A sonar room was built into space created by the removal of the diesel engines. USS Threadfin received Sargo II batteries with electrolyte agitation, battery cooling, and open tank ventilation. The electrical system was beefed up by doubling the capacity of the AC motor-generators to handle lighting as well as the previous load, and 120-volt direct current for other purposes was provided through rectifiers instead of rheostats. Two 400-cycle motor-generator sets were also added to meet the needs of new electronic equipment. The propellers were of the five-bladed fleet type.

At the completion of her Guppy IIA conversion, USS Threadfin was recommissioned at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard on 7 August 1953 with Lieutenant Commander Daniel G. Bailey in command.

When recommissioned, the Guppy IIA submarine was 306 feet in length overall; had a maximum beam of 27 feet 4 inches; had a normal displacement of 1,840 tons when on the surface and 2,445 tons when submerged; had accommodations for 8 officers, 5 chief petty officers, and approximately 70 enlisted men; was armed only with 6 bow and 4 stern 21-inch torpedo tubes (all topside guns were gone); could make 18 knots on the surface and 15 knots submerged; and had only three 1,600 horsepower main diesel engines for propulsion...instead of the original four and the dinky.

During October 1953, USS Threadfin conducted her post-conversion shakedown cruise, and, early the following month, reported for duty as a unit of Submarine Squadron Four at the United States Naval Station at Key West, Florida. Her submarine tender was USS Howard W. Gilmore (AS-16).

Over the remaining nineteen years of her service in the United States Navy, USS Threadfin operated in the North Atlantic Ocean, in the Caribbean, and in the Mediterranean Sea. She participated in several exercises during most years and frequently conducted summer training cruises for United States Naval Academy and Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps (NROTC) midshipmen. Though based at Key West,

she made visits to Gulf of Mexico accessed ports...such as New Orleans ...and often transited north to the Submarine Base at New London/ Groton, Connecticut. She spent many months over the years at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba...providing services to the Fleet Training Group.

Calendar Year 1959 proved to be an "interesting" period of time for USS Threadfin. The year commenced with the submarine undergoing overhaul in the Charleston Naval Shipyard at Charleston, South Carolina. In late April, USS Threadfin completed her overhaul. Workup following overhaul included routines at and near the United States Naval Submarine Base at New London/Groton, Connecticut; refresher training; and routine operations out of her base at Key West.

During the fall of 1959, USS Threadfin commenced a transit from Key West to Karachi, Pakistan, situated in the northeast corner of the Arabian Sea, to provide support for President Eisenhower's visit to Pakistan in December of that year. The submarine made a brief stop at Gibraltar, then transited to the northeast corner of Egypt. At the north end of the Suez Canal, an Egyptian pilot was embarked, and, a large cube containing illuminating lights was brought on board and installed on the forward deck. This device was capable of lighting up the banks on both sides of the canal at night... thereby enhancing the ability of the pilot to conn the vessel down the center of the canal during periods of darkness. The Canal was negotiated during November.

Near the south end of the canal, USS Threadfin slowed to disembark the pilot, and to off-load the illuminating cube to a small boat alongside. However, Greek freighter "Nicolas Michalis III," following close astern, failed to slow sufficiently to prevent a collision...and rammed the submarine in the stern area. The Greek merchantman claimed to have "lost power." Damage to USS Threadfin included a bent propeller shaft, a twisted propeller, and a dented pressure hull. For a week, USS Threadfin sat outside the canal entrance and effected voyage repairs. Crew members removed the damaged propeller from the propeller shaft and hoisted it onto the after deck area...where it was lashed down in place. Then the submarine was towed to the north end of the Suez Canal. From that location, USS Threadfin transited under her own power to Bailey's Shipyard in Malta to have all damaged equipments repaired.

Commander Submarine Force, United States Atlantic Fleet, ordered USS Piper (SS-409) to Pakistan to give the presidential support originally scheduled to be provided by USS Threadfin.

At Malta, the damaged submarine was placed in drydock and the necessary repairs accomplished. The pressure hull was repaired by Philadelphia Naval Shipyard workmen...flown to Malta from Pennsylvania for that purpose.

During January of 1960, all was set right; so, the submarine conducted a sea trial. Because of excessive propeller shaft leakage, it was necessary for USS Threadfin to return to Malta for additional repairs.

Finally, USS Threadfin took departure from Malta and commenced a transit back to her base at Key West. Enroute, the boat touched at a port in the Balearic Islands...and at Gibraltar.

During October of 1962, she participated in the Cuban Missile Crisis blockade of Cuba. The following summer, the submarine made her first post-World War II overseas deployment to the Mediterranean Sea ...and operated there as a unit of the United States Sixth Fleet.

During the latter part of 1969, USS Threadfin had her battery renewed at the Charleston Naval Shipyard at Charleston, South Carolina. During the several months the submarine was in that yard, routine maintenance and drydock work was accomplished.

During the transit from Charleston back to her home port in Key West, an Operational Readiness Inspection (ORI) was conducted by the Division Commander in extremely stormy seas...and at night. Though conditions were adverse, USS Threadfin received an "outstanding" mark for her demonstration of capabilities during that inspection.

During the spring of 1970, while conducting operations in the western portion of the Key West Operating Areas, USS Threadfin spent one evening and night at the dock of the Fort Jefferson National Monument in the Dry Tortugas. Ranger Marquette made the ship's company most welcome and conducted a most interesting tour of the largest brick structure in the Western Hemisphere. Fort Jefferson is best known to many as the place of internment of Doctor Samuel Mudd, the physician who set the broken ankle of John Wilkes Booth...the murderer of President Abraham Lincoln...during his flight from the District of Columbia to Virginia. Doctor Mudd was later pardoned and released from Fort Jefferson... and returned to his farm near Bryantown, Maryland.

During Calendar Year 1970, the decision was made by the Navy Department to decommission most of the diesel-powered submarines in the United States that all available submarine funds could be devoted to building and maintaining nuclear-powered submarines. The submarines at Key West were hard hit by that decision...and many boats were put out of commission...many with very short notice that that unforeseen event was about to happen to them. USS Threadfin was informed that, she, too, was going to be decommissioned. Personnel were transferred to other units, and USS Threadfin prepared to "stand down."

When USS Threadfin's ship's company had been reduced to 42 enlisted crew members, Commander Submarine Force, United States Atlantic Fleet, made a surprise visit to USS Threadfin one fine Sunday afternoon, inspected the boat; then asked if USS Threadfin could deploy to the Mediterranean eleven days hence. The boat scheduled to deploy to the Mediterranean had experienced a major engineering casualty (burned an engine room main battery cable), so, USS Threadfin was "it." Of course, USS Threadfin made that four month deployment; which was conducted during the latter part of 1970, with one-third of the crew being "new hands"...brought aboard at the last minute to bring the crew up to authorized strength. The deployment was successfully conducted. No commitments were missed...and many commendations were received for her outstanding services to units of the United States Sixth Fleet. USS Threadfin was the lead ship in a Sixth Fleet Naval Review to honor the visit and inspection of the naval units by the President of the United States...Richard Nixon... who watched the demonstrations from the flight deck of an aircraft carrier.

The boat proved to be every bit as sound as the day she was built when operations with USS Glover required the submarine to run at test depth for many hours for several days...while that sonar test platform evaluated the detection capability of new equipment against a submarine running deep in the Mediterranean Sea.

Ports visited during that deployment included: Rota and Malaga, Spain; Naples and Augusta, Sicily, Italy; and Port Mahon, Minorca, Balearic Islands, Spain. While in the latter port, USS Threadfin crew members renovated a nearby cemetery, which contained the remains of United States Navymen who died while serving aboard warships that were based at Port Mahon during the early 1800s. Port Mahon was the United States Navy's first overseas base. The cemetery was cleared of weeds and growth, the lawn area trimmed, and the stone wall whitewashed.

Upon return to her home port of Key West, USS Threadfin conducted normal training operations...usually in the local operating areas.

During 1971, USS Threadfin received a shipyard overhaul. While in the shipyard, her external appearance was changed from her original configuration for the second time. This time her stepped sail was exchanged for a high sail...a most welcome "fix" for those who had to stand bridge watches on the surface in frigid North Atlantic winter weather. Low bridge sails were very wet when running in heavy seas.

During 1972, USS Threadfin deployed for the third time to the Mediterranean for duty with the Sixth Fleet. Ports visited included: Lisbon, Portugal; Rota, Cartagena, and Port Mahon, Minorca, Balearic Islands, Spain; Naples, Italy; and Rhodes, Soudha Bay and Iraklion, Greece. During that Mediterranean tour of duty, USS Threadfin personnel were informed that their submarine was going to be transferred to Turkey... during their current deployment. Accordingly,

USS Threadfin transited to Rota, conducted an upkeep, there, in preparation for the transfer; then set course for Izmir, Turkey.

At Izmir, on 18 August 1972, USS Threadfin (SS-410) was placed out of commission and transferred to Turkey as a loan. The former USS Threadfin crew flew back to the United States via commercial air.

The following listed personnel comprised the ship's company of USS Threadfin during her last cruise under the United States National Ensign:

Tommy D. Sawyer, Commander - Commanding Officer

Michael J. Moynahan, Lieutenant Commander - Executive Off.

Robert E. Wright, Lieutenant Commander

Edwin C. Summers, Lieutenant

David M. Whitney, Lieutenant

Kenneth C. Forester, Lieutenant Junior Grade

James S. Thomson, Lieutenant Junior Grade

Stanley L. Jones, Ensign

David W. Folsom, Senior Chief Radioman - Chief of the Boat

Theodore F. Armstrong, Chief Sonar Tecnician

Jerry T. Grenman, Chief Engineman

John T. Link, Chief Electrician's Mate

Robert N. McClure, Chief Electronics Technician

William C. McCormick, Chief Interior Communications Electrician

Lawrence M. Monger, Chief Torpedoman's Mate

Gerald L. Theriault, Chief Electrician's Mate

Quebert Cormier, Electrician's Mate First Class

Harlan R. Higgins, Engineman First Class

Alline J. Hix, Quartermaster First Class

Paul R. Jackson, Radioman First Class

David Kilpatrick, Engineman First Class

David E. Raney, Torpedoman's Mate First class

David S. Rinehart, Torpedoman's Mate First Class

Charles R. "Doc" Robison, Hospital Corpsman First Class

Amzy D. Tullis, Engineman First Class

Kenneth Turner, Engineman First Class

Michael J. Ward, Fire Control Technician G First Class

Dennis K. "Sugarbear" Watson, Electrician's Mate First Class

Donald J. "Kameeche" Whitehead, Commissaryman First Class

Darrell "Boo" Booher, Electrician's Mate Second Class

Roche W. Dubach, Engineman Second Class

Jerry L. Fralick, Interior Communications Electrician 2nd Class

Richard L. Gosnell, Yeoman Second Class

Michael J. Long, Fire Control Technician G Second Class

Doyle G. Reedy, Engineman Second Class

Richard A. Scanlin, Electronics Technician N Second Class

Joe W. Simmons, Torpedoman's Mate Second Class

Christopher K. Weisel, Electrician's Mate Second Class

William T. Wilkins, Electronics Technician N Second Class

Karl S. Yamaguchi, Commissaryman Second Class

Joseph Cardinale, Torpedoman's Mate Third Class

Dennis Chun, Quartermaster Third Class

Bruce A. Clark, Engineman Third Class

Victor W. Clark, Sonar Technician S (Submarine) Third Class

John F. Daniel, Torpedoman's Mate Third Class

Charles E. Foutch, Radioman Third Class

Frank C. George, Electrician's Mate Third Class

James A. Jacobs, Quartermaster Third Class

Raymond J. Jones, Electrician's Mate Third Class

Bernard Kitchens, Engineman Third Class

Terrence L.Kraus, Interior Communications Electrician 3rd Class

Ronald C. Linton, Engineman Third Class

Wallace P. "Chip" Long, Torpedoman's Mate Third Class

Richard Medicus, Commissaryman Third Class

Virgil J. Pedro, Sonar Technician S (Submarine) Third Class

Donald R. Pew, Engineman Third Class

John M. Poulhaos, Sonar Technician S (Submarine) Third Class

Harold K. Recoy, Radioman Third Class

David C. Smith, Torpedoman's Mate Third Class

Reginald Strickland, Engineman Third Class

John R. Torrison, Yeoman Third Class

David X. Valdez, Machinist's Mate Third Class

Robert J. Welch, Torpedoman's Mate Third Class

Reynaldo D. Canosa, Stewardsman

Edward E. Collins, Fireman

Jose Evangelista, Stewardsman

Glen V. Guster, Fireman

Donald R. Hale, Fireman

Dennis K. Hildebrand, Fireman

Richard G. Hines, Fireman

Robin B. Hyatt, Seaman

Felipe Lazarte, Stewardsman

Clement J. Lindsay, Fireman

Mark A. Nelson, Seaman

John K. Palmer, Seaman

David A. Pollard, Fireman

Ronald D. Reid, Seaman

Dean J. Solbach, Seaman

Leonard "Ski" Wasileski, Seaman

Archi L. Watson, Fireman

The Turks renamed the submarine "Birinci Inonu" and redesignated her "S-346"...then her service in the Turkish Navy commenced.

Ex-USS Threadfin (SS-410) was stricken from the United States Naval Register on 1 August 1973 and Turkey returned the title of the boat to the United States...terminating the loan of the submarine to that nation. Two weeks later, on 15 August 1973, the United States sold former USS Threadfin to Turkey for continued service in their navy.

Birinci Inonu (S-346) served actively in the Turkish Navy until 1998...although it had been reported that her submerged operations had been restricted to periscope depth due to her material condition during the last several years of her operational life.

In 1998 Birinci Inonu (S-346) was decommissioned and removed from the list of active Turkish naval vessels. Subsequently, she was disposed of.

USS Threadfin/Birinci Inonu had a pretty remarkable record when one considers she operated in the world's oceans and seas for almost fifty-four years.