USS Anthedon (AS-24) - Ship's History
Researched by: Robert Loys Sminkey
Commander, United States Navy, Retired
USS Anthedon (AS-24) was laid down on 6 May 1943 under a Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 858) at Pascagoula, Mississippi, by the Ingalls Shipbuilding Company; launched on 15 October 1943; sponsored by Mrs. William M. Colmer; acquired by the Navy and commissioned on 17 December 1943; turned over to the Todd Shipbuilding Company for conversion and decommissioned on 30 December 1943; and recommissioned on 15 September 1944, Commander Richard E. Hawes in command.
Following her commissioning, the submarine tender got underway for Brooklyn, New York, to load provisions and ammunition at the New York Navy Yard and then traveled to New London, Connecticut, to take on spare parts for submarines and to conduct tests and drills. She departed New London on 11 October and set a course for Australia. The ship transited the Panama Canal on 17 October and arrived at Fremantle on 17 November.
USS Anthedon spent three months at that port carrying out refits and voyage repairs on submarines returning from war patrols.
The submarine tender departed Fremantle on 12 February 1945; and made stops at Brisbane, Australia; and Hollandia, New Guinea; to pick up building material. She reached Subic Bay, Philippines, on 13 March, and remained there during the rest of the war, servicing numerous submarines as well as the destroyer escorts operating from Subic Bay.
After Japan capitulated in mid-August, the submarine tender got underway on the 31st to return to Fremantle. She reached that port on 10 September and assisted in the dismantling of the submarine repair unit located there. USS Anthedon departed Fremantle on 2 October to return to the Philippines; arrived at Subic Bay on 14 October; and began providing repair services to submarines. On 1 November,
USS Anthedon weighed anchor to return, via the Hawaiian Islands and the Panama Canal, to New London. She transited the canal on 20 November and reached Norfolk, Virginia, on 5 December.
After discharging passengers and cargo, the submarine tender continued on to New London. She spent one week there before moving to Bayonne, New Jersey, on 15 December to enter drydock for the repair of a crack in her hull. USS Anthedon was back in New London on 22 December.
During January and February 1946, the submarine tender assisted submarines preparing for deactivation. On 1 March, USS Anthedon commenced deactivation herself, and she was placed out of commission, in reserve, at New London, on 21 September 1946. Her name was struck from the Navy List sometime in late 1968 or early 1969.
She was sold to Turkey on 7 February 1969 and served the Turkish Navy as submarine tender DONATAN (A-583) until 1989.
During World War II, U.S. Navy submarine tenders were named for submarine service heroes, submarine development pioneers, and mythological "people." USS Anthedon (AS-24), the only ship in the U.S. Navy ever to carry that name, is named for a Greek nymph who was honored in the name of a city in Boeotia on the shore of the Euripos Strait.
USS Anthedon displaced 16,500 tons fully loaded; was 492 feet in length, 69 1/2 feet wide (her beam), and drew 27 feet of water. The submarine tender could make 18.4 knots at speed. Her crew consisted of 1,460 officers and men. The ship was armed with one 5-inch gun, four 3-inch guns, and four 40MM anti-aircraft guns.
USS Anthedon was a ship of the AEGIR Class. She was a "C3-S-A2" hulled ship.